Temple B’nai Sholom, located in the historic Twickenham District of downtown Huntsville is the oldest synagogue in Alabama in continuous use. The reform Congregation B’nai Sholom (Son’s of Peace) was founded in Huntsville July 30, 1876 by 32 area families.
The building was erected at a cost of about $12,000 and was dedicated Nov. 26, 1899. Designed by Chattanooga architect R. H. Hunt construction of the Romanesque revival style building began in 1898 after the purchase of a lot on the corner of Clinton and Lincoln streets. R.H. Hunt also designed many other religious structures throughout the southeast including the original First Baptist Church at the corner of Clinton and Church St. in Huntsville…..
We are so excited to announce the following winners to the 33rd Annual Wildacres Institute!